Tuesday 21 July 2015

Mt St Bernards Abbey

Up by 7am and picked up by Enterprise rental guy at 9.30am to collect a small Vauxhall car for a visit to Uncle George. Takes about an hour to drive to Coalville and arrived in time for a quick yak before having lunch at Guest House.
Pete, Brother George & me. 
I have visited him everytime I have been in UK - too many years


Met up with him again after lunch to talk the afternoon away. George travelled to NZ with my dad and Tom back in 1954 and have been lifetime friends - George had a few tales to tell. One being they were going through the Panama Canal and dad knocked George's pipe over board into the canal and quickly retrieved it with a colander that he go from the galley attached to a rope , just as well the ship was waiting for a lock- no wonder my father did so well in NZ.
Pete then got a guided tour of abbey - females are not allowed so I visited gift shop. Another coffee and a promise to visit again before we left to return to the boat via the M1. Dinner on the boat
A lovely day with a lovely man - God Bless you George

No comments:

Post a Comment